SAAAAAYOOOOONARAAAAAA. Listen, i’m an eternal optimist and i have plenty to reflect on within this past year to make me smile and happy and thankful and whatever roses and sunshine you want to add here, but GOOD. BYE. 2017!! You is rude, homie, but you didn’t get me down. You may have been a major year of loss and you may have taken way too much from me, but you don’t exist anymore and I don’t know many people who are happy you existed. Kind of like Jared Kushner. That’s it, you’re the Jared Kushner of years. You come in here, you don’t say much, you lay low, but low key you’re f*&%-ing ALL THIS STUFF UP behind the scenes and leaving people like WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED and it’s really all your fault and now we just generally hate you. This may be the year where i look back and remember the goodbyes or the abrupt endings or the major life kinks you threw my way, but NOPE 2017, not this gal. You don’t get to win this one.
Nope, 2017 wasn’t all bad. In fact, even with anything destructive that came up this year, I wouldn’t say it was a bad year overall anyway.
- The year started with me traveling solo in a new country and remembering my love of seeing new parts of the world.
- I spent a month around the US seeing my friends and family in LA, San Diego, Dallas, Vegas , Montreal, St Louis, etc.
- I got out of what was a far-too-long-and-destructive relationship yet still found a way for us to stay friends.
- I enjoyed months of our podcast, a project that is still one of my favorite things i’ve done in life EVER.
- I helped my mom start a new chapter in her life by moving her to one of the COOLEST cities i’ve been to (Raleigh NC if you didn’t know!).
- I celebrated my birthday with friends i’ve known for decades and friends i’ve made in NYC on a boat cruise on the Hudson.
- I reconnected with someone from my childhood and they have since become a very important person in my life.
- I spent time with my pup before it was time for her to go, and got to tell her i love her and hold her while we said goodbye (although sad, i’m so happy i got to be there for that moment with my girl – RIP baby!).
- I watched my sister and her husband set out on one of the COOLEST adventures i’ve seen someone take, traveling around the country in a van they built by hand into a tiny home (have you checked out @gnomad_home?).
- I got to see my Ajemian side of the family more than I normally have and bonded so much deeper with them in a really cool way.
- I got to see one of my closest friends get married to a guy that i like to think i set up…even though i did absolutely nothing lol.
- I visited Raleigh 4 (or 5?) times! And fell in love with it <3
- I built this blog up to be way bigger than it has in recent months/years.
- I learned a lot about the inner workings of our brains – this is my positive outlook on having a brain injury!! lol
- I have learned so much about our American politics and can proudly say that I have partaken in marches, letter writing campaigns and many a phone call to my senators (YO CHUCK AND KIRSTEN! how you doinnn) and voiced my opinion on different subjects.
- I chopped my hair!!! EEEEEE!! And I shockingly love it still.
- I fell in love … and remembered it still exists.
- Life reminded me that love sometimes isn’t enough and when people show you who they are, believe them the first time.
- I saw the young woman I babysat for as a young child sing on Broadway … and realized I need to get her autograph before she wins a Tony.
- I enjoyed many trips to LA and got even closer to my crew out there and spent the summer showing some around my lovely city of NYC.
- I saw Book of Mormon on Broadway! and the World Trade Center Observatory! and experienced so many new restaurants in this city that I love!
- I had a WIIIILD time with my gifriends in Vegas – a trip I hardly remember and won’t ever forget, but loved and laughed every single second of that trip! Round 2 in July and my body already hates me.
- I took time off work to recollect my thoughts and deal with some demons and enjoy a minute to breathe and have come back to work excited and ready to go.
- I got to show my brother and sister-in-law all my favorite corners of the city and had Katz Deli for the first time!
- I spent Christmas with one of my favorite people – going to the ballet, to beautiful dinners, and enjoying all the festivities around beautiful NYC!
BRING IT ON 2018!! I see nothing but good things and continuing on the up-and-up – especially since I turn 30 !! tiny bit of EEK but huge amount of YAYYYY!
I learned a lot about myself this year and what I need in different aspects – from professional to personal to romantic needs, and can be an even better Ashli next year. It’s interesting to experience losing so many things that you tie your identity to at one time – mass changes make you question your life – like who am I when everything falls away? When it’s just me? 2017 made me answer that question (forcefully! but thankfully) and I’m happy to go into 2018 stronger than ever, alive, healthy and fine, most definitely extremely hungover. XOXO