ORIGINALLY POSTED on August 5, 2014 maybe it started with titanic. maybe it started with coloring books. heck this may trace back all the way to connect-the-dot times, but i’ve…
ORIGINALLY POSTED on August 14, 2014 so you wanna get away, yes? i feel you. i mean i feeeeeeeeel you!!! i’ll stop feeling you now. summer continually seems like…
ORIGINALLY POSTED on March 5, 2014 the worst part of it being negative 4 bazillion degrees outside (besides the mile walk to work) is that i am SO OVER my…
ORIGINALLY POSTED on October 14, 2014 everybody has their thing you don’t eff with. for some that’s their car. for others it may be their alphabetized cd collection that they…
SAAAAAYOOOOONARAAAAAA. Listen, i’m an eternal optimist and i have plenty to reflect on within this past year to make me smile and happy and thankful and whatever roses and sunshine you want to add here, but GOOD. BYE. 2017!! You is rude, homie, but you didn’t get me down. You may have been a major year of loss and you may have taken way too much from me, but you don’t exist anymore and I don’t know many people who are happy you existed. Kind of like Jared Kushner. That’s it, you’re the Jared Kushner of years. You come in here, you don’t say much, you lay low, but low key you’re f*&%-ing ALL THIS STUFF UP behind the scenes and leaving people like WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED and it’s really all your fault and now we just generally hate you. This may be the year where i look back and remember the goodbyes or the abrupt endings or the major life kinks you threw my way, but NOPE 2017, not this gal. You don’t get to win this one.
Nope, 2017 wasn’t all bad. In fact, even with anything destructive that came up this year, I wouldn’t say it was a bad year overall anyway.
- The year started with me traveling solo in a new country and remembering my love of seeing new parts of the world.
- I spent a month around the US seeing my friends and family in LA, San Diego, Dallas, Vegas , Montreal, St Louis, etc.
- I got out of what was a far-too-long-and-destructive relationship yet still found a way for us to stay friends.
- I enjoyed months of our podcast, a project that is still one of my favorite things i’ve done in life EVER.
- I helped my mom start a new chapter in her life by moving her to one of the COOLEST cities i’ve been to (Raleigh NC if you didn’t know!).
- I celebrated my birthday with friends i’ve known for decades and friends i’ve made in NYC on a boat cruise on the Hudson.
- I reconnected with someone from my childhood and they have since become a very important person in my life.
- I spent time with my pup before it was time for her to go, and got to tell her i love her and hold her while we said goodbye (although sad, i’m so happy i got to be there for that moment with my girl – RIP baby!).
- I watched my sister and her husband set out on one of the COOLEST adventures i’ve seen someone take, traveling around the country in a van they built by hand into a tiny home (have you checked out @gnomad_home?).
- I got to see my Ajemian side of the family more than I normally have and bonded so much deeper with them in a really cool way.
- I got to see one of my closest friends get married to a guy that i like to think i set up…even though i did absolutely nothing lol.
- I visited Raleigh 4 (or 5?) times! And fell in love with it <3
- I built this blog up to be way bigger than it has in recent months/years.
- I learned a lot about the inner workings of our brains – this is my positive outlook on having a brain injury!! lol
- I have learned so much about our American politics and can proudly say that I have partaken in marches, letter writing campaigns and many a phone call to my senators (YO CHUCK AND KIRSTEN! how you doinnn) and voiced my opinion on different subjects.
- I chopped my hair!!! EEEEEE!! And I shockingly love it still.
- I fell in love … and remembered it still exists.
- Life reminded me that love sometimes isn’t enough and when people show you who they are, believe them the first time.
- I saw the young woman I babysat for as a young child sing on Broadway … and realized I need to get her autograph before she wins a Tony.
- I enjoyed many trips to LA and got even closer to my crew out there and spent the summer showing some around my lovely city of NYC.
- I saw Book of Mormon on Broadway! and the World Trade Center Observatory! and experienced so many new restaurants in this city that I love!
- I had a WIIIILD time with my gifriends in Vegas – a trip I hardly remember and won’t ever forget, but loved and laughed every single second of that trip! Round 2 in July and my body already hates me.
- I took time off work to recollect my thoughts and deal with some demons and enjoy a minute to breathe and have come back to work excited and ready to go.
- I got to show my brother and sister-in-law all my favorite corners of the city and had Katz Deli for the first time!
- I spent Christmas with one of my favorite people – going to the ballet, to beautiful dinners, and enjoying all the festivities around beautiful NYC!
BRING IT ON 2018!! I see nothing but good things and continuing on the up-and-up – especially since I turn 30 !! tiny bit of EEK but huge amount of YAYYYY!
I learned a lot about myself this year and what I need in different aspects – from professional to personal to romantic needs, and can be an even better Ashli next year. It’s interesting to experience losing so many things that you tie your identity to at one time – mass changes make you question your life – like who am I when everything falls away? When it’s just me? 2017 made me answer that question (forcefully! but thankfully) and I’m happy to go into 2018 stronger than ever, alive, healthy and fine, most definitely extremely hungover. XOXO
HELLOOOOOOOOOOO MY LOVES. did you have the most wonderful and merry Christmas? I dont mean to be anti-PC, so i hope everyone’s holiday – however celebrated (or not celebrated!) – was much to their liking. 🙂
I feel like once Halloween hits then BAM! the year is over. We have halloween – thanksgiving – holiday parties – Christmas – New Years and then it’s all done. WHERE IS 2017 AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE END OF THE YEAR? i mean, i realized it happened but jeez it’s been like 4 seconds. can a girl breathe?
At time of writing this, i’m stuck on my New Years plans to be honest. I have a few weeks and a few options that all intrigue me and exhaust me all the same. There’s the typical night out in New York City (avoiding Times Square at all costs) with my girlfriends that are sticking around.
Pro’s here being that I’d be with my NYC crew celebrating NYC the way it traditionally is celebrated and wearing a fancy party dress and getting all dolled up (which is something i personally love doing!). Cons is that it can be expensive and obviously a late night and getting back to your apartment through the mess of cabs and debauchery is a headache i’m suffering from just thinking about it.
Option 2 would be a fancy dinner near Times Square for a flat fee with drinks and your meal all included with an escort out to watch the ball drop at midnight. Pros here would be that i’ve done this before and i –to this day– still think it’s the most memorable and wonderful night of my life thus far. Cons is that this is the MOST expensive of the three options but in my opinion the most rewarding. However, wouldnt be with my girlfriends …
Option 3 (and honestly, what i’m leaning towards) is to have my own little Carrie Bradshaw of a New Years with some of my favorite meals I love to cook, my own bottle of champagne and my favorite cocktail made to my liking, cozy pajamas, a bun on top of my head and my favorite movie When Harry Met Sally (which happens to be very New Years Eve-y). Pros here are clear: comfort, affordable, carefree, my favorite foods, etc. Cons are that it’s my last year of my 20’s – shouldn’t i be out on the town like a wild woman? like that’s me anyway…
Keep you posted on what i choose loves, but i assure you that any way i choose to celebrate will be one filled with gratitude for the past year, reflection on the lessons learned and laughter had, and excitement for what i truly believe will be my best year yet. Oh yes, and no resolutions. 🙂
Happy New Years, and thank you for your support this year <3
’tis the season, my loves <3 christmas music on blast, stockings are hung by the chimney with care, trees are as lit as a 19-year-old at SantaCon. it’s truly a beautiful time of joy and love and gratitude and eggnog and sweaters that light up and ice skating and kissing under mistletoe and really super soft socks.
since moving to NYC 6 (and a half!) years ago, my Christmas celebrations always vary. I’ve done Christmas with friends in the city at a potluck, I’ve had Christmas dinner for two in a romantic restaurant in Lincoln Center, I’ve gone home to St Louis, etc. No matter how I celebrate, I like to dress comfy but a bit sparkly and the best way to do that, in my opinion, are to slyyyyyly mask that you’re wearing a very basic combo = jeans + a sweater. just add my staple over the knee boots and some glam earrings and you are festive ready!^^this is my “where’s the champagne” face. ^^this is my “found it!” faceoff we go to Friendsmas dinners and holiday date nights and office parties and more, wearing my favorite glam earrings and grinning ear to ear. i LOOOOVE this time of the year and i hope you all feel the same!!! i’m such a sucker for falling in love with “the season” and this year is no different. hug your people a bit tighter, give everyone 4 extra cheek kisses and i hope you absorb all the love that i always feel throughout the month of December 🙂
love you all truly and wholly and even more if you give me wine so just keep that in mind my bday is in april kbye. *ps extra points if you get the title of this blog post 😉